Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Noah's Ark Quest by Boyd Morrison

I picked this book up in Canberra airport, while I had a couple of hours to wait for my flight home.  The thing that caught my eye was the title and cover, oddly enough the bookseller also had the US version, simply called “The Ark” on the shelf, but the US title and cover weren’t enough to make me pick up the book. It must be something to do with my UK heritage. 

By the time I landed in Hobart I was nearly half way through this book and totally enthralled and was, unusually for me one of the last passengers off of the plane. Being a big fan of Matthew Reilly and having enjoyed quite a bit of Clive Cussler in my younger days, I could really get into this book finding the story paced somewhere between the two.

I will read this book again and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who enjoys, or want to be introduced to, this genre. It's a very entertaining read that kept me interested the whole way through, there was nothing superfluous to be found and at no stage was I thinking "get on with it".  In fact I was looking for any opportunity and spare moments to read a few more pages.

Boyd Morrison has neatly brought together a bit of Biblical history, some of his own knowledge as the holder of a PhD in industrial engineering, religious fanaticism, high-tech equipment, fast paced action, well researched theories and a lot of imagination, to bring this story to life. Which I am pleased to say will have a sequel appearing soon, known as “The Vault” in the US and “The Midas Code” in the UK, bringing Tyler Locke back to the pages of what is set to be another thrill ride of a read.

My synopsis:
We she receives a mysterious summons promising information on her father who has been missing for several years from Sam Watson, an old family friend, Dilara Kenner can only abandon her archaeological dig in Peru and get to LA as fast as possible. Instead of news on her father he instead speaks cryptically about Noah’s Ark and a conspiracy theory that will lead to the deaths of millions, if the Ark’s secrets are revealed, just before he suddenly dies in her arms. His last words send her in search of Tyler Locke, a total stranger.

A former Army combat engineer, Locke is an engineering troubleshooter working on technical problems on an oil rig in the North Atlantic. Dilara manages to get passage to the rig on the next helicopter transport, which goes down just before reaching the platform.  Locke pulls of a daring rescue in the face of an oncoming storm, after a series of other events on the rig, convinces him that there may be something to what Dilara is telling him. He then agrees to helping her reveal the mystery of Noah’s Ark and her father’s disappearance.

A mysterious plane crash, conspiracy theories, government agents, car chases, intrigues, betrayals, attempts on their lives and a mysterious cult, whose leader intends to unleash a flood of his on making upon the world, enabling him to re-populate the earth with his hand selected survivors. With just seven days to find the Ark, Dilara and Tyler commence a rollercoaster ride of events that ensure you won’t be in a hurry to put this book down.

Cover Art and Awards:
This book was nominated for "Best First Mystery" by RT Book Reviews and "An Indie Next Notable Pick". The cover art below are for both the UK and US versions:



The book: The Noah's Ark Quest (UK), The Ark (US).
The author: Boyd Morrison
Series name: Tyler Locke Adventures
Genre: Action, Thriller
First published: 2010
My rating out of 10: It’s a 8.5, this is Boyd Morrison's first work and I look forward to see how he develops his characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment